Maple Leaves Forever is now offering a CASH INCENTIVE for sharing locations of rows of heritage native maples in your area!
Calling all roadtrippers, geocachers and heritage tree lovers! We need your help!
Maple Leaves Forever is putting together a heritage tour of 100+ year old maple plantings along roadsides, laneways and property boundaries in Ontario. We recently published an informative essay about the History of Roadside Tree Planting in Ontario by Terry Schwan – and it has inspired us to catalogue their locations and share these heritage plantings for all to enjoy, and to encourage ongoing native maple planting for the future.
If you know of a roadside or laneway that is lined with heritage native maple trees (read more about “What is a native Canadian maple” here), we invite you to fill out our online form (linked below). The first 50 submissions received by October 15, once verified, will receive a mailed cheque for $150CA from Maple Leaves Forever as a thank you! The $150 reward seems particularly apt, since 2021 marks 150 years since the 1871 Act “to encourage the planting of trees adjacent to highways” in Ontario – the original catalyst for many of these roadside plantings.
- There must be at least 10 heritage native maple trees in a linear row along a laneway, hedgerow, roadway or property boundary that is visible from a public roadway in Ontario, Canada
- The trees must measure on average at least 199cm (78.5”) in circumference or 63.5cm (25”) in diameter measured at chest height
- Three JPG photos must be included:
- one photo of the whole row of trees,
- one photo of a single tree with a tape measure or person to reference its size,
- one close up photo of a leaf to verify species- All the photos must be taken while leaves are on the trees
- Location of the row of trees must be included (civic address, GPS location or Latitude/Longitude)
- Please respect private property. If the trees are not on your property, do not enter the property without permission to obtain pictures. instead, photograph them from the road to the best of your ability.
- All participants must fill out the submission form in its entirety and agree to a potential follow up by MLF.
- Submissions are due October 15, 2022.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you require assistance or further information.